Places to visit in Cluj-Napoca
The Museum of Pharmacy
The Pharmacy Museum is held in an architectural building of the fifteenth century, where first secular pharmacy operated. The exhibition includes 3,000 exhibits, enamel and glass recipients, laboratory instruments, medicines, prescriptions. On the ceiling the original frescoes are preserved from the eighteenth century, with pharmaceutical symbols.
Address:28 Piata Unirii , Cluj-Napoca
Opening hours: Tue-Sun: 10.00 – 16.00
The Mineralogical Museum
Mineralogical Museum operates within the Faculty of Biology and Geology, Babes-Bolyai University and was designed as a place of study. Since 2002, the collection of rocks and minerals opened its doors to the public. The museum contains over 16500 items, grouped into several thematic collections. Mineral collection illustrates more than 700 different species of minerals. Collection of gemstones and meteorites are the only collection of its kind in Romania.
Address: 1 Mihail Kogalniceanu street
Opening hours: Tue-Fri: 11.00 – 14.00
The museum of Paleontology and Stratighaphy
Museum of Paleontology and Stratigraphy is part of the Faculty of Biology-Geology, Cluj-Napoca. Paleontology and Stratigraphy Museum is held in the Department of Geology-Paleontology, in the central building of Babaes-Bolyai University. The museum is based on old collections belonging to the Transylvanian Museum which was founded in 1859.
Address: : 1 Mihail Kogalniceanu street
Opening hours: Tue-Fri: 11.00 – 14.00
The Speology Museum “Emil Racovita”
Speology Museum was established in 1998 and is the only museum dedicated to science of the caves in Romania. Emil Racoviţă is the founder of biospeleology and of the first institute of speology in the world, situated in Cluj. The museum includes “Emil Racoviţă Collection” with many exhibits such as a notebook during Racoviţă’s student years at the Sorbonne University in Paris. The building in which the museum is hosted was the old prison of the medieval town of Cluj, a national historic monument dating from 1376.
The Ethnographical Museum
The Ethnographical Museum in Cluj is the first of this gender in Romania since 1922. The museum has a collection of over 50,000 traditional costumes and testimonies of various ancient customs. Ethnographic Park Romulus Vuia is an open-air section of the Museum of Ethnography, the first open air museum in Romania, located in the Hoia. The oldest exhibits date from 1678.
Address: 21 Memorandumului street
The National History Museum of Transylvania
The museum is hosted in an architectural building of the nineteenth century, Casa Petrichevich-Horvath Daniel, built in neoclassical style. The museum opened in 1937 with collections of antiquities, medieval and modern ceramics, ethnographical collection. Currently the museum has over 400,000 exhibits, including rare unique pieces of great value.
Address: 2 Constantin Daicoviciu street
Opening hours: Mon-Fri: 8.00 – 16.00
Opening hours for exhibitions: Tue-Sun: 10.00 – 16.00
The Zoological Museum
The Zoological Museum is part of the University Babes-Bolyai Heritage and consists of several scientific collections of animals, totalling over 300,000 pieces. The exhibits are presented in various forms of conservation: stuffed, dried, preserved in liquids and skeletons. The pieces are arranged in phylogenetic order, reflecting the evolution from simple to complex animal kingdom.
Address: 5-7 Clinicilor street
Opening hours: Mon-Fri: 09.00 – 15.00
Sun: 10.00 – 14.00
Vivarium part of University Babes-Bolyai heritage. It was built between 1998-2000. It includes about 57 species of animals. Along with a collection of reptiles and amphibians, there are 10 species of fish, 9 species of micromamals and 6 species of birds.
Address: 5-7 Clinicilor street
Opening hours: Mon-Fri: 09.00 – 15.00 Sun: 10.00 – 14.00
Botanical Garden “Alexandru Borza”
Botanical Garden “Alexandru Borza” is part of Babes-Bolyai University in Cluj-Napoca and was founded in 1920 by Professor Alexandru Borza.
A part of the land on the Republicii street, about 3 hectares was donated by Count Imre Miko to the Transylvanian Museum Society, in the late nineteenth century and became a botanical garden with greenhouse and many external links. Currently the botanical garden covers 14 hectares where there are over 10 000 plants , the most beautiful trees and plants from all continents. Here you can visit the Botanical Museum with 6,900 items, and the University herbarium including 635,000 sheets showing plants worldwide. The complex of 6 greenhouses hosts tropical and subtropical plants.
Among the garden attractions there is the Japanese Garden (a Japanese style garden with a stream and a Japanese-style hut), the Roman garden with archaeological remains of the ancient Roman City of Napoca, including a statue of Ceres, goddess of grain and bread.
Central Park Simion Barnutiu
Central Park was established 180 years ago, and is one of the main places of recreation in Cluj-Napoca, situated on the banks of Somesul Mic river. Its history begins in 1827 when Women’s Charity Association leased the land in order to establish a place of recreation. Later the alleys and lake were arranged and music pavilion was built. In the park was inaugurated a Summer Theatre too, a cinema department, today the seat of the Hungarian State Theatre. During the period between WW1 and WW2, next to the park there was the high school for girls Gerando, currently part of Babes Bolyai University and hosting the Faculty of Chemistry. In the park there is a statue of Liviu Rebreanu and of George Cosbuc, raised in the late 1960s.
Cetatuia is a fortification built during the Habsburg period, with star-shaped walls. Currently only southeast and north gateways remained, a part of the walls, four buildings and the fortress itself was transformed into a Parachute Tower. The entire assembly was deeply affected by landslides in the area. Due to its location Cetatuia offers a wonderful panorama of the city Cluj Napoca.
Romulus Vuia Ethnographic Park
Romulus Vuia Ethnographic Park is a open air section of the Museum of Ethnography, the first open air museum in Romania, located in Hoia area. The oldest exhibits date from 1678. The Ethnographical Park presents regional peasant households from XVII-XX century, wooden churches from Transylvania characteristic of Orthodox or Greek Catholic rites.
Address: Taietura Turcului street
Opening hours: 1 May – 31 Octomber -> Tue-Sun 09.00-17.00
1 November – 30 April – closed
Sports Park Iuliu Hatieganu
Sports Park Iuliu Hatieganu was created between 1930-1932 at the initiative of Professor Iuliu Hatieganu. The aim was to give young people the opportunity to have access to a park with recreational activities. The Sports Park is located on the right side of the Somes River and covers an area of 25ha.
Address: 7 Padurilor street